Early online education

Are we really waking up at 7:00 AM just to sit at home and listen to a lecture?

Ellie Wingen, Page Editor

School starting up in the fall has always been a stressful time for students and staff, however, this 2020-21 school year is a bit different. We all woke up on Aug. 18, got ready for school, brushed our teeth, ate breakfast and maybe drank some coffee. What we didn’t do was put our shoes on and walk out of our houses. Instead, we sat back down. We logged into Canvas and waited for our first-period Zoom call to begin. 

Last year was much different. Last semester, most teachers gave out homework and assignments at the beginning of the week and assigned a deadline in which they would be turned in. Students and teachers had the freedom to wake up later and spend their days as they pleased, all while knowing their homework is due in the future. We learned to be flexible and adapt to this new learning environment while being able to spend time off our devices.

This year, the district had decided to use the typical schedule that we would use on campus. For most of us, this meant eight-hour days with an hour and a half lecture in each class. After school, we are given online homework that keeps us glued to the screen, once again. The question worth debating for is: which option is more convenient? 

To start, we are quarantining. Getting out to exercise at the gym, going to the beach and spending time with friends is much more challenging due to state regulations. Now that school has started, students are stuck inside their homes staring at a computer screen with a strict schedule to follow.

Given this schedule, students have limited amounts of time to go outside. If we were on campus, we would have breaks to socialize or walk around the school. But at home, when the class period ends, students and teachers sit and wait for the next one to start.

While it is understandable that the district wanted this year to be like the rest, it simply is not, nor will it ever be if we are to continue online school. 

With that being said, students, teachers and staff need breaks from their screens to get outside after a lecture-filled day. Block and PLC schedules prevent students from having freedom at home.