Computerized ceramics

Mr. Schultz expresses his experience in the new transition to online schooling and his passion for ceramics.

Schultz shows off his amazing artwork.

Kellen Edwards, Page Editor

With the school year becoming digital, there are many challenges that students and teachers face along with the new, unique way of teaching from home. However, Brian Schultz stepped up to the challenge.

Since Schultz teaches ceramics, it was hard to teach virtually. Usually, on the first day of ceramics, students start right away and begin to experience what they are able to create with clay. With virtual learning, it was harder to distribute the material to use at home and have a hands-on experience. 

“This transition to online teaching was unique. I mean just to say the words ‘virtual ceramics’ sounds hilarious,” Schultz joked. “It’s kind of reorganized how we do things in ceramics. In the past, we would get kids working with clay instantly, we’d just put dirt in their hands and get them dirty but due to online learning, we had to back up and look at the situation. Overall the transition is just different. It isn’t good or bad, it’s just different.”

However, while online has some limitations compared to in-person teaching, it also has some benefits. While being at home, students can take inspiration not only from the teacher, but from the internet to create new pieces of art. Students are also able to spend more time on their work to ensure that they have a consistent work ethic in their skill. This is also encouraging for Schultz because he is able to gain this extra inspiration from his students.

“As an artist, we’re constantly developing work and pushing to the next thing; just constantly getting inspired by new stuff. And I think that’s one of the cool things about being in this job is that my work evolves because I have many creative minds around me that are coming up with new ideas,” Schultz professed. “Although a lot of them come up with old ideas too, which I still support as well, there are a lot of kids that are just outside of the box. Sometimes I can incorporate their ideas into my work too, so it’s kind of always changing.” 

Schultz was first introduced to ceramics when his older brothers took ceramics in high school and they were able to give him a small view of what the experience was like. When he was finally able to take it himself, he was mesmerized at the myriad of possibilities he was able to create with just his hands. Through this, and the addition of digital learning, Schultz is able to display his love for the art and inspire his students to pursue the artistry of being a ceramist.

“My favorite part about teaching is working in a material that I love, being clay. Having the opportunity to pass this material to people who don’t normally work in clay and hopefully inspire them the way I feel about the material myself is just amazing,” Schultz expressed. “It’s not only inspiring to me to pass along the knowledge about the material, but I also get to see what those kids get a chance to make as well.”