Club Rush

Club Rush shifted to an online platform amidst the pandemic.

Ashley Dixon, Business Manager

Club presidents gathered on Zoom webinars to give information about their clubs. (Ashley Dixon)

Surging towards as much normalcy as possible in an online environment, Club Rush was shifted to an online platform this year. Flipgrid was chosen as the format for Club Rush since the program would allow club presidents to create presentations about their clubs and give students information about daily Q&A sessions. The videos were closely monitored by the ASB Clubs Commissioner, Pallavi Gaikwad, to ensure that the material was school-appropriate.

“From an administration standpoint, we can limit who sees the videos to just Capo students. I also have to approve all of the videos before they get posted,” Gaikwad revealed.

Flipgrid showcased the videos of over 60 clubs, many of which were brand new to Capo. However, the platform came as a surprise to some students, such as sophomore Nikki Irvani, who anticipated a program that students were more familiar with.

“I was expecting Club Rush to be done through Zoom, or maybe through posts on social media,” Irvani explained.

Other than being entirely online, Club Rush was nearly identical to years past. A handful of clubs were able to showcase their content each day from Sept. 14 through Sept. 18. Videos were posted the night before the clubs’ set Q&A dates so that interested students could ask the presidents questions through a Zoom webinar. The one drawback of this set-up was the time of the live Q&A: lunch. 

Many students did not want to participate because it would mean losing their lunch break. This fed into the fears of many club presidents who were worried about not communicating their message to as many students as they might have been able to in person. Sophomore Aspen Kinomoto, the president of CVHS Team NEGU, was skeptical regarding Flipgrid’s ability to spread the word about different clubs.

“One of my biggest worries for Club Rush was not being able to reach as many people, but I still was looking forward to meeting new people who were interested in joining the club,” Kinomoto stated.

Around a third of the clubs represented on Flipgrid were new to Capo this year, and each had a similar goal in mind: to bring students together. For instance, the Vocal Arts Club, run by Makenna Malkin, aims to unify students outside of choir together.

“My board and I have been meeting regularly to figure out how to keep the choir community a family,” Malkin remarked.

Keeping the entirety of Capo as a collective body is extremely difficult given the current circumstances. Not only do clubs have to consider students who have previously attended Capo, but they also have to be wary of the freshmen class. They have never experienced Club Rush in its full, in-person glory before, which can make this year’s seem a bit dim. Club presidents had to make their presentations fun and entertaining to draw in freshmen, such as Izzy Ghazarian, who only had a rough idea of what Club Rush truly was.

“From what I knew, Club Rush was where clubs tell other students about themselves, and allow them to sign up,” Ghazarian said.

Even though Club Rush was entirely online, it made its mark. Thankfully, a majority of interested students were able to access Club Rush, understand the clubs of Capo and become an even bigger part of the ever-growing family.