Springtime Soccer

As we have transitioned into spring, soccer at Capo has started to gain the momentum they have been waiting for since the start of the year.

Springtime+Soccer

Maya Panahi, Copy Editor

Springtime this year has been a chance for many sports at Capo to change their pace and finally start the season that they have waited for, and soccer was no exception. After months of practice, their hard work finally has had a chance to be put to use. Since the beginning of March, the teams have been playing games and have been gathering strength since then.

Though they have started their 2021 season, not everything is back to normal. There are still strict safety protocols that have to be followed by the players, coaches and parents.

“All players must arrive and leave campus with a mask and have to wear one while on the bench. Coaches must also wear a mask. We also must try our best to maintain social distance on the line, but it can get difficult,” explained Coach Sorrell.

Following some of these protocols can be hard because they are an active sport, but they are trying their hardest to keep everyone safe.

“They also have to self-diagnose themselves before, just so that they make sure they have no symptoms,” continued Coach Sorrell.

Things started to seem more normal once they were moved into the tier that allows them to have intrasquad contact. They now have a normal lead schedule of nine games, and they run normal practices.

As far as their weekly schedule goes, it has started to become more regular.

“We have practice every Wednesday and Friday, but we now have games every Tuesday and Thursday too,” stated freshman Emma Sweet.

One thing though, is that their numbers haven’t been the same as other years.

“Like a lot of the high schools, we’ve become more limited in numbers of players. We didn’t have too many leave the program, but we didn’t get many freshmen coming in,” commented Coach Sorrell. 

Because of their delay at the start of their season, soccer which is usually a winter sport now has to play in the spring. Spring is also the time that many players participate in club soccer. In most years, they don’t have to worry about school soccer and club soccer overlapping, but this season was full of surprises.

“It’s been a challenge because the players get tired; fatigue sets in, and we get more injuries than we typically get,” remarked Coach Sorrell.

Some of these students are playing up to six games with up to six practices each week. Needless to say, it becomes more tiring as time goes on. On the bright side, there is a positive aspect to having to play in spring.

“With daylight savings, we usually have to play under the lights, but now we aren’t,” brought forward Coach Sorrell.

In the wintertime, it becomes darker an hour before, and in springtime, it becomes darker an hour later. Whether this is a positive or negative aspect varies among individuals.

One aspect of the games that has changed this year for safety reasons has been who is allowed to sit in the stands.

“Only two people from your immediate family can watch the game from the stands as long as they wear masks and social distance from everyone else,” spoke Sweet.

In previous years, students have always enjoyed supporting their peers by attending their sports games, but this year, it isn’t possible to do so. It is great that parents are still able to support their children, but it has been said that there has been some trouble regarding following the safety protocols among them.

Though it isn’t how anyone thought this season would look like, soccer has finally been able to have the successful season that they hoped to have. Through ups and downs and learning curves, the program has adapted to our new world and in perfect timing.