Miguel and the Mariachi

Sophomore Miguel Tiscareño has used his love for Mexican music to create a Capo-based Mariachi band.

Miguel+enjoys+playing+multiple+instruments+including+the+accordion.+

Photo courtesy of Miguel Tiscareño

Miguel enjoys playing multiple instruments including the accordion.

Sophia Sandhu, Copy Editor

In the wake of the Multicultural Fair, we have been enlightened about our fellow peers’ diverse talents and ethnicities. However, we don’t need an entire school event to know that Capo students have unique passions that deserve special recognition. Sophomore Miguel Tiscareño, for example, started a Mariachi band based out of our very own Instrumental Music Program.

“Mariachi is like Mexican folk music, and it is usually performed in small groups. What we are focusing on currently at school is Cumbia, another type of Mexican music that is more rhythmic for dancing,” Tiscareño explained. 

With the help from Mr. Waldukat, Tiscareño put together a group that has since played at the Multicultural Fair and other Capo-related events. The group consists of six members and various instruments, including trumpet, soprano saxophone, trombone, drums, accordion, violin, piano and vocals, with some members playing multiple instruments. 

“I play the violin, piano and accordion. I don’t have a favorite, I like all three of them equally, but the piano is the one I started to play first, so I have a greater connection with that instrument,” Tiscaerño shared. 

He first started playing Mexican music around the sixth grade, but not yet Mariachi and Cumbia. He experimented with a few other styles, such as Ranchera and Corrido. The range of Mexican music out there has left Tiscareño with endless opportunities to express his passion. 

“I just love the way the music sounds and being able to play what other Mexican artists have composed and performed is such an amazing feeling for me,” Tiscareño gushed. 

Once he got to high school, Tiscareño’s love for Mexican music blossomed into a full-blown band during his Freshman year. They started as a Mariachi group and have since ventured into different styles such as Cumbia, as mentioned before. They were able to perform at last year’s Multicultural Fair, but due to the shutdown, the band was not able to do the same this year and had to find different ways to get their music heard.

“I arranged the parts for the musicians, and we were going to record the Cumbia for this year’s fair rather than playing in person. We didn’t get to practice together very much when COVID started, but I still play a lot at home and now the Cumbia at school,” Tiscareño elaborated. 

For many, Mexican music is a link to their heritage. A bridge between them and their ancestry, and the same goes for Tiscareño. Not only does he love to play Mexican music because of the beautiful sounds and unique rhythms, but because it is an essential means of connecting him to the roots of his culture. But for now, the band is working for different reasons. 

“To put it simply, we are a group of people that learn to play Mexican songs and just have fun doing it,” Tiscareño added.

With the amount of disconnect that is happening with students today, Tiscareño and the band are doing their part to make life a little more cheerful, one song at a time.