Looking back with class of ‘20

Learn from the graduating class of 2020 as they navigate this bizarre transitional period.

Burakoff explores campus.

Colette Reitenour, Illustrator

We’ve all been forced to traverse through these complicated and unusual times, but the additional stress of transitioning out of high school and into college has forced the graduating class of 2020 to learn some difficult lessons. 

Tahlia Vayser, a former editor in chief of the CVHS Times, is currently attending the University of Southern California and studying business and entertainment. She is carrying on her love for journalism and taking a more artistic approach with USC’s Creative Design and Literary Magazine. 

Takeaway: “It’s very difficult to feel like I’ve lost out on a big portion of my high school experience and my first semester of college, making mistakes and learning from them, having those experiences. It felt like a huge loss, but I think that we can only dwell on that for so long before we realize that it’s so much more valuable, at least for me, to count my blessings and thank those around me. I know that I’m in a tough situation, but I’m not in the worst situation. It doesn’t mean I can’t be upset, but it does mean I shouldn’t dwell on the things that don’t serve me.”

Natalie Hill is an actress and singer attending Azusa Pacific University online majoring in Acting for the Stage and Screen. She’s been put in the unique position of learning to act from her bedroom, but is making the most of her situation and adapting to the times. 

Takeaway: “I’ve learned that I do like solitude. I used to be so scared of missing out, thinking that everyone’s hanging out, but now we all have to be our own company. I’ve been able to learn more about the things that I love and hone my skills. Overall, these months I’ve delved deeper into my artistic capabilities, not just acting and performing, but also drawing and singing. This past season has forced me to fill up time with the things I love, and it’s not all bad.”

Blake Makuuchi traveled across the pond to study criminology at the University of Bristol in England. She had to make the move by herself with nothing but two large suitcases, and quarantine once she arrived. There was a noticeable shift in culture, but Makuuchi is enjoying her time and taking the opportunity to learn the most she can.

Takeaway: “It’s different over here. Their humor is different, so sometimes people will laugh and I won’t understand, but I’m from a whole different country. I’m still learning things and catching on to all their different sayings and jokes, but it’s definitely hard. Push yourself to step out of your comfort zone and try unique things. Keep challenging yourself and make the most out of tough situations.”   

Aidan Burakoff is following in his parents’ footsteps and attending the University of Michigan, studying in business and finance. He’s been maintaining a sense of normalcy living in the dorms and staying social with online party games and zoom calls.

Takeaway: “I think through all this, oddly, I have developed a more positive mindset on life as a whole. It has made me a more resilient person, who always tries to understand what positive outcomes can be taken away from a bad situation.”