Staying in focus

Capo Media has kept its creativity flowing in new and exciting ways.

Photo courtesy of Linda Krellner

Senior Producers Jane Shody and Jacob Scott shoot the intro for episode two.

Sophia Sandhu, Copy Editor

Ironically enough, there has never been a better time than the present for the arts to flourish. With restriction and limitation comes adaptability and creativity. Capo.360 has certainly taken their motto quite literally and has “made ideas happen” these past six months of school, despite the challenges that they have faced. 

“These circumstances are forcing us to think differently, and the good thing about that is when you’re put into a box, there’s infinite freedom as long as you know what the box is,” Capo.360 advisor and Executive Producer Craig Landino illustrated. 

As their leader, Landino has made his intentions clear: make this year count. His goal is to “embrace the limitations” and use them as fuel for even better filmmaking rather than thinking of this year as a lost opportunity. They have everything to gain and nothing to lose; all it takes is creativity, passion and good leadership; Capo.360 has just that. 

“The producers this year have made Capo.360 a great experience. They push me and encourage me to do my greatest, and they also go above and beyond anything I ever ask from them,” Landino gushed. 

Capo.360 has released two episodes so far this year thanks to the resilience of the whole team. It has been difficult, but this year’s producers have put in countless hours in and out of class to adapt to these unsavory circumstances.

“We have redone the whole lesson plan for Capo Media and we spend hours every week brainstorming ways to help the class stay interactive,” Senior Producer Linda Krellner discussed. 

In past years, we have all waited in excitement for the releases of new Capo.360 episodes. But this year, they have expanded their platform so their art reaches a variety of viewers more than five times a year. Yes, Capo.360 has made it to TikTok. While it is in their every intention to put their focus on releasing five episodes this year, the pandemic has encouraged them to experiment with different artistic mediums. However, TikTok isn’t the only adaptation that the producers have mused.

“We are doing our very own blacklist similar to Hollywood. So everyone has to come up with script ideas and we are going to do a friendly competition in class,” Krellner mentioned. 

With the addition of new, interactive projects and platforms, it is certain that the filmmakers at Capo will continue to do what they love. Now some may be asking, How do they do it? How are they able to still film, edit and produce episodes when half the student body is online? 

“When we created our Capo.360 intro, we all filmed separate clips and edited them together to create the intro,” sophomore Evan Nowack described. “We have filmed in small groups with only two to three people and made sure everyone was safe.”

Small production teams work together to create transitions. (Photo courtesy of Linda Krellner)

By limiting the number of people in production groups and encouraging individual, at-home work, Capo.360 has managed to create new episodes that live up to the caliber of past years. And just like in past years, the essence of Capo.360 has also remained the same. 

“Our motto still applies. Although it may be harder to fulfill, the pandemic is allowing us to make those new ideas happen in new and creative ways,” Nowack emphasized. 

It is important to look at life and take note of the things that have stayed the same along with everything that has changed. For Capo.360, art, creativity and passion are still the driving forces behind everything. Its members are just as driven and their products are just as sensational compared to any other year. With this in mind, take a page out of their book, go out there and make your ideas happen.