All things ASB

ASB is keeping Capo involved with new and unique activities.

ASB+prepares+for+the+year+and+plans+activities.+

ASB prepares for the year and plans activities.

Colette Reitenour, Illustrator

ASB has been doing their best to maintain a sense of community at Capo, keeping students involved and excited. Unfortunately, large events like Multicultural Week and STEAM Showcase, usually held in the first semester, have been pushed out to the second. New district regulations and the need for approval have lengthened the planning process.

“We’re looking forward to what Multicultural Week and STEAM Showcase will look like next semester, but those are still in very early stages and under a lot of restrictions,” Clubs Commissioner Pallavi Gaikwad expressed. “We’re very limited in what we can do and it’s going to look a little different than it has in the past.”

ASB also handles dances, usually holding Homecoming and Winter Formal within the first semester. Along with these dances come spirit weeks and pep rallies coinciding with the theme. Instead of trying to accommodate these happenings into a virtual format, ASB decided to cancel them this year and shift their focus to new events that fit the platform. 

Even without the large crowds and cheers in the mall during lunch, Capo has still managed to hold competitions and kept students active. Athletics Commissioners Maggie Brascia and Michael Vido held a trick shots tournament in which cougars could submit their best trick shot video and let peers vote on the winner. Brascia took first place as seen here. They are continuing to plan events like a Game Pidgeon competition and shouting out an athlete of the month. 

Arts Commissioners Bella Geovanni and Evelyn White have been giving their all to keep Capo creative. Even with the lack of Quadchella, they’ve been keeping up with Music Recommendations of the Month, in which they highlight songs from each major genre, and Artist of the Month where one artistic cougar and their work is given the spotlight on Capo’s Instagram page. They also advertise Drama’s musicals and plays. 

“We really want to incorporate as many things as possible in person because we know that’s what people generally enjoy, but we’re also doing a lot online,” White explained. 

During the holidays, clubs often run donation events like food or toy drives. ASB Clubs Commissioners Gaikwad and Aspen Jackson are making sure Capo isn’t the only drop-off location for these sort of events. Instead, many places are willing to receive the donations, such as students’ doorsteps and churches. 

Clubs are doing all they can to ensure that as many students are attending their virtual meetings as possible. Now that teachers aren’t allowed to have meetings in their rooms, they’ve switched to Zoom meetings and recordings to make sure everyone’s getting the information.

Clubs have also enlarged their social media presence to advertise themselves better and keep students informed. Most clubs’ posts are reposted on Capo’s official Instagram page @capovalleyhs. 

“Even with the clubs being based online, I think that they do feel like they’re part of the Capo community because of social media,” Gaikwad pointed out.  

Especially as a senior, it’s hard to feel involved. You’ve been gone from school so long and you’re ready to go off to college. Online lectures are easy to dismiss once they are over, and the feeling of inclusion at school has dwindled. 

“We want people to remember that they’re part of a bigger thing, and they’re not just getting on a Zoom call for two hours and being done with it,” Gaikwad declared.

ASB is pushing to keep that feeling alive, and there is only more to look forward to in the future.