Doing your part

With many consequences to climate change, there are also many ways students can do their part to save the environment.

Kellen Edwards, Feature's Editor

As the effects of global warming have entrenched a myriad of escalated disasters in recent years, it is more vital by each passing day for everyone to take part in the efforts of aiding the environment to stop the effects of global warming. To prevent this, we must create a healthy ecosystem where we can co-exist along with nature. But what can students do to help make this a reality?

“I think the biggest thing people can do for the environment is using their voice. Of course, it is essential to recycle, change to a more sustainable energy source, eat a more plant-based diet and actively work towards a more sustainable climate. But what a lot of people don’t realize is that even if every single individual did their part to fight climate change, it still wouldn’t be enough,” junior Emma Azhan explained.

By vocalizing the problem, it provides a general statement of the severity of the issue. Social media could also be an essential tool for raising awareness of climate change because students can gain support from all over the world. By doing this, big corporations and companies can also become aware of the situation and provide greater support.

Also, by volunteering for projects like tree planting and beach cleanups, students can do their part to save the globe and meet other people passionate about saving the planet. Since not everyone has time to volunteer, students can implement things into their daily lives to make them more conscious of their world.

“Educating yourself is the basis of helping our environment. Knowing our impacts on nature is another step to becoming more conscious about our environment, which will make us more likely to do something about our current climate issues. Education can also lead to more sustainable options when buying new clothes and products, which can make a big difference,” junior Nikki Majidi stated.

Informing each other on the many causes of global warming can also help students live a healthier lifestyle. By becoming environmentally conscious, students are less prone to making harmful choices. For example: taking shorter showers, recycling plastic and consuming less meat can help our surroundings and help us be in good health. 

If the world decides to ignore these escalating problems, it will only grow to be more devastating to our planet and society as a whole. There will be more intense wildfires, flooding, droughts and hurricanes, which will eventually demolish the world.

“The clock shows that there are seven years left until damages become catastrophic, and we can only burn around 306 billion tons of carbon before these problems escalate. Once time runs out, problems like famine, disasters and displacement will occur all over the world,” Majidi expressed.